Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Navigating My Way Back Into The Art World

I have to admit, I've taken some serious detours ever since I graduated with a BFA in 1999. Wake up calls and second chances seem to rule my life. Each time begets a better outcome, although it takes me awhile to snap out of complacent zombie-like states which I tend to frequent more than not.



So it's been 12 years since I've opened up a can of Daniel Smith vine black etching ink. 12 years since I've flirted with acids. 12 years since I've cranked the wheel of a Takash press. 12 years since I've pulled a proof. 12 years of creative hibernation. Time to wake the bear.

Where to begin? Grab stick. Poke bear. HARD!

So here I sit, artistically emaciated, while I begin this journey. I am vulnerable and exposed without any credibility, ready to forge for berries so I can fatten up my confidence and call myself a bear.

Diaries have existed for centuries. Blogs...only in the last 10 years. It's ironic that a diary is written with discretion but a blog is written with brazenness. However, cARTography is written for shear accountability. It's my trainer. My gym partner. First I've got to exercise the mind in order to build a lexicon of artistic language in order to produce work. How do I start? By typing, by actively thinking, by immersing myself, by doing. Shit or get off the pot is what my old man use to say. I'm finally listening, Pop.

5 comments:

  1. You were pretty damn good when you put it up. I bet it comes back to you sooner than you expect. I think of picking up the graphite from time to time but never seem to actually do it. Then again, I was not as good as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,sir! I owe a lot to Dewayne Pass for pointing me to the path I'm on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone can draw. It's learning how to see that's the hard part. Wear glasses and make a mark,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well when you do get done on the pot, I'll have a nice fresh roll of TP for you! Congrats on taking a step (or leap) into art again. I've known you for years, but time to get to know your art too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Evan! You are a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete